Downham Market

1914 - 1918
1939 - 1945
War Memorial Playing Field
1914 - 1918

Lambert Victor Adams
Albert John Akred
Frederick Samuel Allen
A. John Ashby
Walter Albert Aveis
Ernest Bailey
Frank Bellham
Walter Bowman
James Brown
Charles William Bryan
Charles William Bushill
William Osborne Clarke
Charles Thomas Collen
George J. Corley
John Corley
Thomas Crabb
Arthur Culling
Thomas Culling
George Dixon
Donald Ernest Doughty
Percy Eagle
Herbert Fincham
Edgar Freeman
John Frost
Frederick A. Firth
John Goodard
William Goddard
Nathan Goodrum
Robert Goodrum
Charles Gromett
Ernest Gromett
Ernest George Groom
William John Groom
George Harnwell
John Hawes
Walter E. Haylett
Ernest Hewing
Enrest Howcroft
Harry Hubbard
Walter Edwin Johnson, M.M.
Frederick Kendle
Albert William Kent
Arthur E. Grommett King
Frederick Lack
Ernest Lankfer
Arthur Leverick
J. Nelson Martin
George Moore
John Moulton
Theodore Moulton
William Nicklin
Alfred Edward Pack
Horace Algernon Pack
Harold Porter
William E. Rumbelow
Leonard Sheldrake
Sessions S. Sheldrake
William Smith
George William Spinks
Charles Edward Steward
Alan John Stocking
Frederick John Thorpe
Cyril Walker
Charles Vince Watson
Harry Watson
Frederick Watts
Horace Way
Alfred James Wheatland
Rich Henery Wales
Herbert Wilson
Edward Charles Wright
Thomas William Young
William Thomas Young

1939 - 1945

Edward Allen
Stanley Atkin
Alfred Beckett
Joesph Bland
Harold Bye
James Collen
Walter Cowell
Doreen Dack
Ronald Dennis
Peter Dorman
Marcus Hawkins
Eric Hemmant
Douglas Hunter
Joseph Jackson
Joseph Joplin
Frederick Mouncer
Reginald Mansell
Donald Rix
Peter Wadsworth
Garneys Wales
Donald Walker
Claud Way
Harold Whitehead
Peter Woodward

War Memorial Playing Field

The names listed are the same as the town memorial WW II panel

The purchase of this field for £1000 was completed on 31st December 1946. Previously a meadow known as the Cricket Field, the money was raised by public subscription and from the Women's Voluntary Service (now the Women's Royal Voluntary Service) who raised money in their Homecoming Forces Fund.

The estimated total cost of the playing field was £5400, a lot of money in 1946. The lower part of the field was given by Robert Belham Haynes who farmed locally.

Soccer has been played here from September 1949 and cricket from the summer of 1950. There are also tennis courts, a children's play area, a petanque and squash court. A swimming pool was constructed on the field, which was a vast improvement to dipping in the muddy Great Ouse River.

The memorial garden on the South Side was opened shortly after the sports field. The money for this was also raised by a number of benefactors; Downham Troop Welfare Committee, The Women's Institute, Silver Lining and three whist drives.


Open Space Web-Map builder Code

The memorial is on the junction of Church Road B1507 and Howdale Road